Santander is reconsidering its presence in the U.K., FT says

Fortune
01-20

Banco Santander SA is reconsidering its presence in the UK, and may exit the market as it contends with lower returns relative to other markets, the Financial Times reported Saturday. 

The Spanish lender is exploring a range of options, including keeping the business, and no deal is imminent, people with knowledge of the matter told the newspaper. Santander is also dealing with the effect of a British court ruling on car loans, the FT said.

“The UK is a core market for Santander and this has not changed,” a spokesperson for the bank said Saturday in an email.

The bank set aside £295 million ($359 million) last year to cushion against potential legal costs and payments after authorities in the UK ordered an industrywide regulatory probe into the suspected mis-selling of car loans.

Spain’s most valuable bank became a UK household name with its 2004 acquisition of building society Abbey National, in a deal Santander’s then-chairman Emilio Botin said would “reinforce our pan-European franchise.”

Santander in recent years has trimmed the relative size of the British business: Risk-weighted assets in the UK have been falling from around 14.7% of the group’s total in 2018 to around 12.7% in the first half of 2024.

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com

免责声明:投资有风险,本文并非投资建议,以上内容不应被视为任何金融产品的购买或出售要约、建议或邀请,作者或其他用户的任何相关讨论、评论或帖子也不应被视为此类内容。本文仅供一般参考,不考虑您的个人投资目标、财务状况或需求。TTM对信息的准确性和完整性不承担任何责任或保证,投资者应自行研究并在投资前寻求专业建议。

热议股票

  1. 1
     
     
     
     
  2. 2
     
     
     
     
  3. 3
     
     
     
     
  4. 4
     
     
     
     
  5. 5
     
     
     
     
  6. 6
     
     
     
     
  7. 7
     
     
     
     
  8. 8
     
     
     
     
  9. 9
     
     
     
     
  10. 10